As above, so below. Each step up or down revealing new complexities and shapes never seen. So we humans continue our evolution, genes matching and adapting and creating echoes of what has gone before. We, breathing for ancestors, carrying their traditions, traits and beliefs forward to our progeny. A link in a chain far greater than we imagine. Not i, but i as the river of life, flowing strong against our environment.
I was blessed as a child, with good parents and family, who taught me well. I was taught morality, and love by example, and until older could not even conceive of things like violence, and drunkeness. While i did grow up, as we all, nay some, eventually do, i carry within me my past, and appreciate the value, in a world without.
But even my father got it wrong. He lost me, for a time. We are different, and looked at the same things with completely different eyes, and not always in a friendly way either. But these things pass, as all things do, and we were able to make amends between us. I stand between my father and my children, with his father looking on, (a man who i still greatly admire, a man whose heart was always good) and accept the burden that fatherhood is, or can be.
For to be a good father takes sacrifice. You cannot give to your children without taking some of your own share. You pour your life and passion into them, and you do it hoping that they will be better people, than you know you yourself are. For we are all weak, and fail, ourselves, our women, our children. That's just life. To me, the only thing that can be expected of fathers (and mothers) is to put their family first in all things. You HAVE to put yourself, your interests and preferences second to your family.
Not all parents are good though. And i think we have created a society where the good father is a myth. So many of my friends have split homes, and a split home is the definitive sign of a failed father, a failed leader, and failed citizen. For if a man cannot guide and protect his family, then what shall we do with him? I make it perhaps overly simplistic here, but a man who allows his family to walk away is no man, he is broken. If he does not feel the loss, then he did not deserve the honour, if he does feel the loss, perhaps he should have acted sooner, removed more of his ego in the building of the family. But it's a social problem now, where little boys are so ego stroked, especially for displays of strength and prowess, and then promptly inserted into a situation where ego and strength need to be subdued for the game to be won. And they don't know how.
I have stood to take my place in this flow of fatherhood. And in doing so face my own fears and insecurities and weaknesses, and accept them humbly as they ARE mine. But i do it with resolve, that i shall try not make the same mistakes as my father made, but i will still use what was good, whether i thought it was at the time is irrelevant now, i understand where my father did good by his family, at cost.
We are fortunate though, us humans. Caught between mud and the stars we share a Father who has always done what is good, even if we doubt it, or argue against it. There are rules to be followed throughout life, some assumed by choice, like vegetaranism, and others that are universal, you reap what you sow, what goes around, REALLY goes around. We know these things, in our lives and especially with our children.
With a son who has been rather aptly nicknamed "sparkey", the rules exist that if you play with electricity you will get shocked. I am not making these rules up, they exist without me. All i can do is try teach respect for those rules. You break them you're going to get hurt. Sometimes, you have to sit quietly and watch the child break the rules. Don't stand on there you're going to fall .... ok, so don't listen ... crunch ... Waaaaaa .... next time, they'll listen, you hope. If you always catch the child, they'll just keep doing it, they have to learn consequences all by themselves, even if it hurts. As the parent, you can only stand by, perhaps minimise the pain with a pillow or something,and dry the tears.
It takes strength to watch your child fall, it takes care to pick them up, and it takes more love to watch them run away again, now fixed. So it is for us all. We play, run, fall, learn, cry, laugh and all other emotions, but we fall, and are picked up, because that is the way of it.
As confusing as my ways are to my young children, so are the ways of the Father to me, i don't get half of it to be honest, and certainly don't like bits too, like eating all your veggies, and having to wash hands before eating(whats THAT about? i was eating the dirt earlier, i'm still fine?) But what i do understand i accept, and know that it is for my benefit. I am just a child, at play among adults. I don't understand them, much, but i know my Father is standing to the side, over there, as i do when my daughter goes hairing off into a crowd with nary a thought for safety. She KNOWS i am with her always, even when i know i'm not, that's faith right there.
I'm only human after all ...


10 comments:
This system uses your family against you. Step out of line and they will not be fed. But oil-based plastics and probably a laundry list of other chemicals has delayed puberty these days. I've heard it's population control, but we know the pope likes children.
I don't feel like a man, I'll be honest. I feel like a thing. I'm a mutant, and I'm not alone. The mutants will rip this system's head from its spinal column and squish its brains on the ground. I don't want anything, I can't be bought. I wonder if they know what they have brought on themselves.
You know I don't agree with you 'braxie - but it's your set of emotions and I do think you've articulated them very well.
Love,
Terri in Joburg
"I don't feel like a man, I'll be honest. I feel like a thing. I'm a mutant, and I'm not alone."
Pstonie ... in saying that you stand out AS a man sir. This system has so broken us we know not what we are ...
But we know, deep inside we know.
Terri, your words hold great sway with me, and i thank you your compliment.
We disagree, on some perhaps. You are a lady, and hold true to ideals maternal. I am a man, and have become paternal in my own rights.
I think we should agree on this:
The paternal imagery has been utterly violated, and father more often means abuser than carer.
The maternal imagery has been twisted too, from mother to slut and more.
But we go back to the one, a source, the source.
We realise that we CAME FROM ... somewhere?
We need both my Father, and your Mother, to stand and say we are whole. Are we NOT the sum of what has gone before?
And Terri ... we both know love, in it's infinity.
peace and love :D
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Thanks Terri, you just opened a can can of worms in my head *grin*
Father and Mother as archetypes, a child needs a stern father, as much as an indulgent mother, both acting with love.
Father would be heaven, and heavenly things, while Mother would be the Earth, and earthly things.
Surely a priest should not neglect his vegetable garden, any more than he should not neglect his church people?
As a parent, my children need discipline, and shelter, equally. But AS important are laughing together, and eating sweets.
My children laugh, and play. That to me is my earthly reward, and i say this honestly, and sadly: there are those who have spurned laughing children. Whether they choose or appear to follow the Father, or the Mother, or themselves (as spoiled child) they can never be whole.
*smile*
ok i'm done, bring on the debate!!
ROFLMAO ;-)
peace and love
I think you need to remember that the Mother, the maternal and feminine and nurturing, is also very important in a childs development, as well as in the success of any relationship. It is never just one that fails, nor just one that succeeds.
As with everything in life there must always be a balance.
T
It's actually the setting of God as cosmic parent which I disagree with Braxie.
Well synchronised my f(r)iend
Love,
T in J
Oh yes agreed absolutely!!!
You need both, of both.
Why is that Terri? The parent bit?
I had good parents, something i have re-affirmed to them both. But in this time i'm finding myself resembling them more than i had ever thought. I was a rebellious child, no laughing please ... ;-)
The strange thing is (r), this affirmation i make here, contains so much of what you have shared, albeit framed differently.
It's about reaching inside, and finding yourself mirrored in the stars. And striving to more closely resemble the stars.
MY BODY IS MADE OF SUNLIGHT
amen, yahoo, and cowabunga!!
:D
I'm insanely jelous. And I can say a lot. What I wish though, is that ALL fathers come to realise what you have.
We had a nice chat about fatherhood not too long ago. I've always marvelled in the endless supply of wisdom you have, and give.
I'm glad you feel like a father, I'm sure the unconditional love you receive is a reward unlike any other.
Love, Soul
Hmm.Perhaps my reading skills need brushing up, or maybe I shouldn't read ddeep stuff at work, but I seemed to grasp that one of the scenes you were drawing was the 'as I am to my children, so is God to me'.
Forgive me if that's not what you were saying at all - for it's there that I think we need to relook. At faith in a great cosmic parent who will look after us and tell us what to do - it's time to grow out of that now, and claim divinity as our birthright, and the gods as equal life forms to ourselves.
Love,
T frazzled with work in J
Hey Soul :) yes we did
Love first and always ...
'as I am to my children, so is God to me'
no ... any God i know would be a damn sight better at it ;-)
i am still a child, poorly following the example i have been set, i merely accept what is given freely.
birthright indeed ... it is mine and i have claimed it, but to undermine while the Father lives ... tut tut ... bad form. This from me who kicked a father out the house last week :/ no inheritance my way for sure ;-)
Terri WE ARE AS GODS ALREADY ... It was given us ... to live without fear, or anger ... to move mountains and raise the dead.
But people reject it :(
Because people are people
and people are not yet gods
they are still little better than animals ...
we are children you and i
marvelling at the creators works
living and breathing the unity of the cosmos
damn if it aint the prettiest thing
perfect unity
from quarks to stars and children running with flowers
*smile*
frazzled huh? i picture frizzy hair on a frazzled person ;-)
peace and love sibling :p
Post a Comment