Wednesday, 28 July 2010

Gnostics

So the other day on my favourite forum, i encountered a gnostic. A real live one. What a prat, but moving long. And it was real hard to get to grips with this guy, to figure out exxactly what he was saying. He was certainly well read and intelligent, but he was half true ... it's the other half i couldn't put my finger on.

Arrogant and totally "above" anyone else, he insulted everyone by basically saying i've studied for 34 years, you haven't, you're just another idiot. Which is nice and all, but i'm not. But between myself and one or two others, we managed to ddraw him out and started taking his statements and putting them together and getting a big fat zero. 

Another guy posted this link: 

http://www.evidencetobelieve.net/gnostic_gospels.htm

Only certain Christians possessed special knowledge (or "gnosis"), and that this knowledge was only given to the spiritual, the few, the "insiders". Not everyone had this "divine spark" -- only those "in the know" - the intellectuals. Those lacking this spiritual knowledge -- well, they were doomed. According to Gnosticism, salvation is attained through the acquisition of special "secret" knowledge, not by grace through faith as the Bible teaches.

and waddaya know? That was exactly what we were debating against. I love debate, i don't care what you think, but i'd like to hear it, and hear you justify it, and we'll do it politely thank you. The whole thrust of his argument was that he had received special "revelation" concerning the mysteries of "rebirth" and "resurection" and how that was the central dogmatic issue of our times, hidden of course by those who know, and the rest of us.

A collection of ancient texts were uncovered with this discovery, many with intriguing titles such as the Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Philip, Gospel of Mary, Gospel of Truth, Acts of John, and others. The Nag Hammadi Library, published in 1977, consisted of 45 titles - only a few of which were titled "gospels". In fact, only five are listed as gospels - Truth, Thomas, Philip, Egyptians, and Mary.

Historically they came to the fore about 100AD, and were already then exposed for what they are, sowers of confusion, promising knowledge which would then allow you to become higher than others. Special knowledge huh? Like the Nephilim? Perhaps?

Either way, i thought i'd share the above incident with you. Read the whole article, there's quite a lot in there that may resonate. Life is so much simpler than that, even religion is not complicated. BELIEVE, there ies the only "requirement" for christians, hindus, moslems, buddhists, pagans and so on. Believe in what you will, but no man among us has any guarentees to eternal life / salvation/ karmic unity / 167 virgins unless they believe. 

It's the belief and the faith that is more important than the knowledge. Knowledge divides, surely humanity has figured THAT trick out yet? Whereas 100 people who believe in the same thing, are always a most powerful force, when dogma and over thought comes in, then the fractures appear.

"For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God - not of works, lest any man should boast." (Eph 2:8)

peace and love

7 comments:

Soul said...

Just because he claims he is gnostic doesnt mean he is, like me claiming to be psychic, doesnt mean I really am. And special gifts like that does not necisarilly make you a nice or knowledgable person. All of those things have yet to be proven.

And I'm just commenting cause I can ok?

I'm not a Christian or religious person because I got bestowed with a special gift. I'm Christian because I believe, and not having gifts, doesnt make me any less of a believer. (Infact, does not having physical proof of higher powers, not make you a bigger believer than someone who has been visited by God or the angels or been given gifts?) Again, I'm just commenting cause I can. I don't realy have any versus to quote or can say I have intense knowledge about religion. I BELIEVE, and that is all I have, and I guess for the most parts of it, the MOST IMPORTANT part.

I do like this whole new Dominee david thing. Suits you well!!!

david said...

dominee david will be very biblical, and will tell you to go forth and multiplication stuffs ok ? :p

Hmmmm, i think you get what i'm saying. It's nice BECAUSE you don't have to have anything special. Seriously, if i needed some specialness to get "into heaven" i'd be so screwed.

peace ;-)

david said...

PS, he didn't claim to be a gnostic, he was claiming to be the messiah, or something i lost track ;-)

Pstonie said...

Apparently Siener said a little something about the church of his time, that it had a problem that could be explained by a bit from Matthew 13:

"24 He put another parable before them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field,
25 but while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat and went away.
26 So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared also."

As for the afterlife, it does not concern me. Seems to me it's a very convenient promise to shift people's attention from the moment, from something they can actually affect. Obviously it's worked very well. Life is acclimation, there's no way around it. To adjust is to live. For that reason eternal bliss is not possible. Eventually we will all be returned to the source no matter what, but the fact that we're here proves that eventually we'll get bored and seek the polarity again.

Soul said...

PS, he didn't claim to be a gnostic, he was claiming to be the messiah, or something i lost track ;-)


* You telling me the messiah is hanging out on internet forums? wow, things have really changed since Biblical times...

david said...

I think that weed parable is very apt to the gnostics, thanks!!!

Well yes and no, i'm not putting all my eggs in the afterlife basket, because thats stupid. I'm trying to keep all my eggs unbroken, so that if and when i get to heaven, i can have breakfast :D

Seriously though, what comes after will reflect what we do now. Some of us are just miffed that maybe the "the source" won't want us. Now whatever you may think or say about that ... if i were the "source" some humans i wouldn't want back, thanks and all but don't come back.

Same way some humans actively want to go to the other place, and actively reject "the source" or claim to know better and claim a "different" source.

I don't know, i really don't, no more than any of us have our private delusions about the afterlife.
What concerns me, is THIS life. And not being the problem.

peace and love

david said...

oh yeah soul,

"many claiming to be the Christ"

It's happening .... no really this will ONLY get more common.