Wednesday, 25 November 2009

Meteor

So this hasn't received as much attention as i thought it would. Once i had seen the videos, i was astounded. I don't have youtube access from work anymore, but here are the 2 LIVELEAK videos i did see, and another link i cannot verify from you-tube.

liveleak 1

liveleak 2

youtube 1

And probably the best info i could find is from a userboard called yahoo meteororbs.

1. Meteorite impact close
Posted by: "Magda Streicher"

Hi all, perhaps you all heard about the meteorite seen over South Africa on Saturday night which was scary close to our farm. Read my report below.

Magda

Meteorite entry in Northern Province

At the farm site around 15km from the Zimbabe border, 16km north of the little town Alldays at South 22o30 and East 20o07. a meteorite entry was seen on Saturday night at 22.04 SA Time and 20h04 UT Time.

The brightest light ever seen was light up the bush field as far as the eye could see, you should be able to read a book! The next second an impact sound close to that of a bomb blast with a definite ground impact sound, follow up with an after sound that went over into a rattle sound which last for around 3 seconds with slight trembling of the ground.

I ring various people around the area and there was a few who saw the bright meteorite entry.

One guy reports that the blinding meteorite turn into a fiery red purple fire ball. In this stage a loud sizzling sound was heard, burning smoke was seen and the earth was rambling with windows shaking like mad. Another close to Platjan border post report that he thought his house is been blast away and ran outside with shock.

This morning, Monday I talk to another Botswana guy who said that the impact was like a bomb blast close to him. He stayed around 20 kilometres inside Botswana from the SA border. Because of the rain no fire was report in the area around us. It looks like the impact sound was been heard over a radius of more that 200 kilometres. Taking all into account the impact could be around 50km from us but it is only an estimate. A very real experience which just show one how vulnerable we are on this little blue dot.

Magda

3 comments:

Soul said...

*blush* it did kinda catch the eye on my way to work on Monday I think. You know, being subjected to about 1000 advertising images in a 20km drive, that's what stood out. But, you kinda forget about it a minute later, because some other billboard is advertising coffee, or newspapers or news headlines about Joost and Amore...

Thank you for posting about it.

:-)

now, do me a favour please... make a plan, I need to gossip...

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Oh my.
It almost looks like an atomic explosiion in that LiveLeak no.2 fiootage.
Or perhaps the light was just overwhelmng the camera.
Now I'm sorry I missed it - I've been like "a meteor,big deal" up to now, but that was kind of special.
Love,
Terri in Joburg

Pstonie said...

Best footage I've seen yet! Never thought I'd be glad for CCTV cams.

With all the rocks coming down these days it makes me think of the scene in Armageddon where the large asteroid goes through an asteroid field and knocks a couple of smaller ones our way as an advance warning.

But the colours make me think it's a metal object. Copper burns green.