National Geographic
Curious story about german graverobbers, or something being nabbed by police, except they had this with them.
No man is an island, Entire of itself. Each is a piece of the continent, A part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less. As well as if a promontory were. As well as if a manner of thine own Or of thine friend’s were. Each man’s death diminishes me, For I am involved in mankind. Therefore, send not to know For whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee.
7 comments:
Hey, that's interesting.
I wonder why the spiel gives the sun as a male deity though?
In Germany, in particular (and alsao early Egypt) the sun was a female deity, and the moon was male.
We mostly think of it the other way around, now, but for the period that disk is dated for, the sun was almost always female.
Love,
Terri in Joburg
Now that IS curious.
I've always considered the sun as male, Ra etc? Of course it is the modern conception, but i never considered any other?
If the sun is male, what is the moon? and earth?
thanks for sharing!!!
The moon is Artemis/Diana/huntress/virgin female.
The earth is Great Mother.
I think Ra was later Egyptian.
Originally, the Egyptian Goddesses all wore solar disks over their heads, to indicate their representation of the sun.
Probably the rise of the patriarchy had a good deal to do with the sun's being attributed to males gods.
I also, however, tend to go with the male sun, female moon duality, having been raised to it.
Love,
T
OK, so they were ALL female until ... something happened i guess?
The solar discs though, was that not (and still) subservience to?
Again i'm a "patriarchal" product, but even the pope has his sun crap platered all over him, same kind of association?
peace
The earliest deities were all female, of course. Then men started thinking they could run things...well, that's one reasonable reading of the evidence, anyway.
No, I don't see the solar disks as denoting subservience to the sun - it's an iconic link to that which the deity represents on earth, her attributes if you will. Solar/life giving. Remember the Temple of Apollo at Delphi used to be the domain of the Pythian oracles, not the God's oracles. But even that's quite late on, as Greece was pretty civilised ie patriarchal.
The pope's interesting. I think I didi a blog post on how he's wearing an actual fish on his head - the yoni symbol of the gateway between the worlds, at birth and at death.
She brings us into the world,and she opens the gate for us to leave.
Oh yes, the vesica piscis:
http://aquilakahecate.blogspot.com/2007/04/its-fish-head.html
Love,
T
"of course" says ye ... *grin*
The roman catholic church is nothing more than a cult of sun worshippers.
I'm fully aware of the fishies, i think it's laughable. But most of the rc's ideas are older than the christianity it claims to represent. Add several millenia of sexually deprived priesthood, add ultra powerful megalomoniac, and more dogma than you or i could dream up, and you have what is technically called a clusterfuck. Or in the rc lingo, cloister fuck.
The way they dress really is a cherry.
You have raised a huge question with me though, about the "female" sun.
I'm going to go dig.
peace ;-)
How cool is that?
I see a film coming up...
Post a Comment