Monday, 23 February 2009

Hesse quote

"You know quite well, deep within you,
that there is only a single magic, a single power,
a single salvation...and that is called loving.
Well then, love your suffering.
Do not resist it, do not flee from it.
It is only your aversion to it that hurts, nothing else."

- Hermann Hesse

______________________________________________

I love this man's writings. I didn't know this quote, but ever since i was given a copy of "Steppenwolf" i was hooked.

Thanks to http://coyoteprime-runningcauseicantfly.blogspot.com/ for this insight.

2 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

My brother forced me to read Siddartha when I was completely unready for it. But then, my brother made me reads lots of stuff I would never have picked up on my own. Like Justinian. And Cicero. And Descartes. Blessed be my brother, I guess.
I should revisit Hess sometime, as I too was struck by that quote.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Anonymous said...

I have all the books, as well as his autobiography ... also some interviews he has given, not many.

An outstanding man.