Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics. You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded. Because the elements, the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars. And the only way they could get into your body is if the stars were kind enough to explode.
Wednesday, 4 July 2012
My body is made of sunshine
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics. You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded. Because the elements, the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars. And the only way they could get into your body is if the stars were kind enough to explode.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What a lovely way to put it :o)
This was, as I remember, what really got to me when David Bennewith lectured, back in the '70s.He'd end his lectures with the line from C,S,N&Y. It sears the mundane mind, doesn't it?
Love, T in J
K, I forgot to add those are not my words, Infinity Imagined, of course :) but yeah, it totally got my attention :)
I sing that song to myself so often T, it really does stir the soul and shake the mind. Sear is a great word for it.
peace and love to you both
Post a Comment