Monday, 4 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No man is an island, Entire of itself. Each is a piece of the continent, A part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less. As well as if a promontory were. As well as if a manner of thine own Or of thine friend’s were. Each man’s death diminishes me, For I am involved in mankind. Therefore, send not to know For whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee.
6 comments:
So... not in the kitchen at parties? - Okay, bad joke... Have fun you ;) and if you can't then, well... you know...
..err...why?
Missiing a lot I duess, I'm celebrating Damhain.
Or, not missing much, come to think of it.
Love,
T
That should be Samhain.
It's dark in here.
lol - the what? I'm pleading ignorance here...
"oh dear" muttered Freud as he rolled over in his sleep ;-)
Why ... lots of answers to that in fact. For starters, from your side, Samhain ... now i don't celebrate it as you do, but curiously enough, i do respond to it in a similar way.
Ancestors ... history, getting back to the simple, and important things.
It was the dreaded bday (i hate them) and i have sworn to never allow myself to carry the yolk on my day. What freedom i have is spent as i wish.
At the monument, they had a cabinet with "memorial memorabilia" in it, and one of the items was a bell, with the top being a replica of the monument.
Likely offered at the inauguration ceremony, they are not for sale, and haven't been for a while. The reason i mention it is because we have one at home. We used it as the dinner bell. It was my ouma's, the mother of my paternal grandmother.
Visiting the Voortrekker monument was astounding for me, as it so accurately desribed my own family history (1 branch of) as well as the history of my country.
Happy Birthday, dear 'Braksie!
I also take off in November, on my own b'day, as I'm too stingy to buy cake for 200 people.
I remember visiting the Monument with my brother and some varsity friends back in the late '70s.We hosed ourselves, I'm ashamed to say, and spoke French a lot.
This was probably around the time you were born.
It's interesting to me how Summer's End gets felt by sensitive people, all over the place.
Love,
Terri in Joburg
Post a Comment