This is shamelessly stolen from the Think Bike forum. Thank you to Tosh, someone who i've ridden with before, who has popped his head up :D
Think Bike has said and done a lot to dispel the "club" image. In this they have failed miserably. The politics involved with ANY groups of people, is usually too much to control, and somehow the worst in people always comes out.
I'm NOT a club person, for many of the usual reasons, and frankly the clubbishness that is starting to manifest is alienating me somewhat.
It is the difference between individuality and ego. (IMHO)
____________________________________________________________________________
Like arseholes we all have opinions, and I would like to voice mine.
Let me start by saying I am a new member to Think Bike and this has nothing to do with the campaign or its internal structures.
I read an article on the forum which has made me dig out the old typewriter and Tipex. (For those young ‘uns – a typewriter - noun an electric, electronic, or manual machine with keys for producing print-like characters and Tipex – is a manual deleting fluid)
The article was headed: - ‘I need some advise.’
Without being a horse’s arse, I presumed what the writer was asking for was some advice as to how her bike clubs policies may or may not be the same as other clubs etc.
I do not wish to dwell on the detail of the post but rather the very humorous answers which were regurgitated by some of the non-club affiliated members.
Take this from where it comes: – Thom Sherrard – Midnight Sting JHB President
The difference between an association/ affiliation and a club is in its definition a world apart***??
Association - a group of people organized for a joint purpose
Affiliation - officially attach or connected to an organization
Club - an association dedicated to a particular interest or activity
I am no genius and do not have a great command of the English language, however I am prepared to go out on a limb and admit that I am confused as to the literal specifications as to the differences between the three words.
They are all very similar; however, if I admit to being associated or affiliated to a biking community, I do not hear the careless whispers being muttered under those laboured breaths. Should I, however, be so irresponsible as to admit I am a member of a bike club the mutters and the whispers start? Why?
The public in general are naïve due to a lack of knowledge, as well as having a healthy fear of the unknown. I say healthy as I don’t necessarily want them to know that we eat, sleep, shit, work, breed, love and die. Best we keep these secrets to ourselves and take them to the grave.
Those that know me know that when I ride, I ride with pride; I wear my name on my chest, heart on my sleeve and my colours on my back as do many other proud club members. I have flaws and have a history, some good some, well, not so good… I read somewhere ‘he who has no sin, throw the first stone’.
I would like to give some insight into the brotherhood of a club. (I speak of only my experiences and not hearsay).
Our creed is simple – Respect, dedication, brotherhood
We are like minded motorcyclists, who come together as brothers and sisters with a very high level of commitment to our club, in pursuit of having fun while doing something we enjoy, keeping in mind our greater goal of supporting each other as well as some worthwhile causes.
We set an example of what we believe in; Respect, dedication and brotherhood. Living life, free spirited without being abusive to ourselves or others while at the same time not forgetting our responsibilities to family and club. (The woman riders may be interested to know that they are very welcome into our brotherhood, I use the term brotherhood for the ease of writing this, I am not being gender specific.)
On an open forum like TB there is no accountability or responsibility as to what people post….easy isn’t it. Imagine if life were like that.
You could post on your company’s internal mail system exactly what you think of your boss, staff or your colleagues etc. I think not.
Too risky, scared to **** off the boss, or is it your respect for him, or his position that stops you. Maybe it’s your responsibility to your family and you may think that you have much to lose, maybe.
In a bike club you are not dealing with an Avatar, nickname or a status ranking. You are not able to lambaste a person in Cape Town while sitting in your air-conditioned office in Johannesburg. You need to address the horses arse himself – face to face.
In a club you are held accountable and responsible for your actions, and through this process respect is earned. Sometimes holding ones tongue may lead to the most incredible feeling – respect. With respect, any issue can be addressed, no matter how difficult to swallow. What’s more by having mutual respect you always walk away a man. (It makes me think of some great words written by Rudyard Kipling – If- I will attach it, for my indulgence.)
Politics happen in every environment, especially in a biking community. Most bikers are strong willed, assertive and have an inner belief. Not a good combination if you are looking for weak sheep to follow the ramblings of a dictator.
We elect our leaders, committees and members by a democratic vote, the office holders share the work load of running the club to make it run smoothly and to help achieve the goals, objectives and discipline within the club.
Bike clubs are not for everybody. It takes dedication, effort, self sacrifice and respect. These are hard values to share with people outside your immediate family, and often even within your own family.
I have had the privilege to have loved, lost, buried and lived inside a community of the most incredible people who have helped mould me into the man I am today.
When people who share the same values, share time with each other, an internal and serious life bond is formed. If you add to that a love of freedom, independence, biking and a little dose of individualism it is easy to understand why people like this choose to ride together, and show solidarity by riding under one flag/colour.
Why follow the pack when we are all individuals. Climb on your bike take a few mates with you and go find yourself.
Live life
Wednesday, 13 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It is an unfortunate thing, and a friend of mine actually left TB before he joined precicely because of that.
I still have much respect for many amoung the brotherhood though, and count myself lucky to be a part of it. Your good self is a notable example. While there are still those who stand for those values, I believe we will be ok, and I hope that eventually those who are causing will just go away.
Here's hoping...
LG
"respect" is not a biker value, it's a human one.
The fact that these "bikers" claim it as their personal "property" is cool, IF THEY HAD ANY FREAKING IDEA WHAT IT MEANS!
Reapect is given not earned, and sadly the "bad boy biker image" that so many of the TB leaders aspire too is very much against giving respect to anyone.
People see it, and are leaving because of it. THAT is what angers me.
Thanks for the kind words too ;-)
peace
Post a Comment