The national education system is a "disaster," the Afrikaans teachers union SAOU told the ANC on Thursday.
It emphasised that the success rate of pupils who started in Grade One in 1995 was only 24 percent, union general secretary Chris Klopper told reporters.
"There were 1,2 million pupils who got lost along the way, we want to know what happened to them."
Klopper was speaking after meeting African national Congress secretary-general Gwede Mantashe and other senior party officials in Johannesburg.
Klopper said 1,5 million pupils started in Grade 1 in 1995 and only 360,000 completed matric in 2007.
"The same happened with the 1996 intake and matric results in 2008." The success rate for 2008 was only 22 percent, he said.
IOL
________________________________________________________________________
Cry, the beloved country.
Further, this is obviouly something close to my heart, and with 3 kids, 2 in school, i'm seeing the down side all the time.
I was going to make a post entitled the "Misconception of condoms". My dughter (12) comes home the other day, and tells how she was learning about HIV and AIDS. Now for some strange reason, she picks up on this topic as IMPORTANT. Something in the way it's presented certainly stands out for her.
Already i get told: "i know about SEX" her emphasis not mine. And that condoms are for when you want to make babies.
STOP THE FUCKING BUS .... WHAT?
So, we have this 12 year old girl, who got the idea that sex is ok before marriage, that its important, and she completely misunderstands the use od condoms.
We very quickly mended the damage, but she's a smart girl, with a good broad knowledge of the subject (our bitch had puppies a while ago) and parents who take an interest in her work, and she got it wrong anyway.
Something is wrong with that entire scenario.
Exactly the same happened with voting. "Well you see, dad, that voting is about PARTIES, like, um, the ANC, and you have to go and vote for them."
She could not name a single other political party. She came home recently with a woksheet describing the bantu civilisations as having having huge cities which rivalled those of Europe. No, they didn't. That's a lie. They had many things perhaps, but comparing 18th century Africa with 18th century Vienna, well you see what i'm getting at.
I dropped out of school, because i could smell the lies and hypocrisy. Not really my finest moment, but the point is kids KNOW value, and they're not getting it.
Wednesday, 18 March 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
18th century compares to 18th century Vienna? LOL. OMG!
Not in a million years.
As for the "education" in schools, I don't even know where to start. America is no better, but at least they get some thigns right.
And as for not kids not being able to name any party other than the ANC? That is truly scary.
What are they teaching in schools?
I had a bit of an issue with my friends who wanted to home school their kids for religious reasons (which is another debate entirely) but at this rate, perhaps they will have a better edicuation BY FAR, even if they are socially inept and unable to deal with teh real world.
OH MY GOD. I can't believe that.
18th century Africa on a par with 18th century Vienna.. mumble mumble... crap .. lies ... mumble
NO WONDER OUR CHILDREN ARE STUPID AND IGNORANT. The education system has failed them.
Eish.
The object of the schooling system, in whatever country, is to turn out Good Citizens.
That these products of education are prone to disease of the mind, of the body and most certainly of the soul is a major feature of these systems.
I have a degree in Physics from this system, and I'm only learning the important things in life now.
Love,
Terri in Joburg
PS-Laughing Girl- I certainly wouldn't put any children of mine through any of civilisation's schooling systems. Your frineds are on slightly safer ground with home schooling.
Love,
Terri in Joburg
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay
This seems to work so i can comment to :D
Home schooling falls down when you have 2 working parents, not to mention the cost, crumbs i'm barely affording public school :(
It would be so much better if i could teach my kids ... i'm already doing that, but only in smal bits of after hours ... it's wrong.
Terri ... you don't have kids, which i think would give you the perspective i need:
How do i get the important things into my kids at this age?
What are the important things?
ye gods, the trouble i have getting my son to think out the box frightens me ... his thinking is so rigid ...
What a bloody good question Braxie.
One I don't have a set answer for.
I do have a son, you know - he went to school at Hyde Park High and then varsity in England when my brother took over his 'education'.
I didn't realise, back then (Shevek is 24 now) what harm we do ourselves and our cildren through the educational system.
But it's important to get them to think out of the box, yes- or to question civ and all it's trappings. It may be too late for most of us, and most of our children, when peer pressure to conform is so strong. Especially in the 10-18 year age group.
I dunno. I'll let you know if I have any insights, thuogh.
Love,
T in J
I didn't realise you had a child, i'll bet you miss him.
peer pressure is mostly dealt with i think ... and having me as a dad .. well they'll know more than most, but it's the simple things, which we take for granted, which we doin't realise they're not getting.
I give them time though ... time and attention, something rthey're NOT getting elsewhere.
peace
Miss him very deeply indeed. An Aquarian, the House of my family heart.
But yes, with you for a dad I reckon your children are getting a better deal then many.
L,
TinJ
Post a Comment