Thursday, 1 November 2012

I take illegal drugs for inspiration

Daily Telegraph, Saturday May 21st 2005, pp 17-18

Susan Blackmore

Every year, like a social drinker who wants to prove to herself that she's not an alcoholic, I give up cannabis for a month. It can be a tough and dreary time - and much as I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, alcohol cannot take its place.
Some people may smoke dope just to relax or have fun, but for me the reason goes deeper. In fact, I can honestly say that without cannabis, most of my scientific research would never have been done and most of my books on psychology and evolution would not have been written.
Some evenings, after a long day at my desk, I'll slip into the bath, light a candle and a spliff, and let the ideas flow - that lecture I have to give to 500 people next week, that article I'm writing for New Scientist, those tricky last words of a book I've been working on for months. This is the time when the sentences seem to write themselves. Or I might sit out in my greenhouse on a summer evening among my tomatoes and peach trees, struggling with questions about free will or the nature of the universe, and find that a smoke gives me new ways of thinking about them.
Yes, I know there are serious risks to my health, and I know I might be caught and fined or put in prison. But I weigh all this up, and go on smoking grass.

________________________________________________

Read the full article, inspirational.


7 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

err...can we get her to stop, please?
She's a bad (ie materialist skeptic drone) advert for grass.

Love,
T in J

david said...

Hmmm didn't see it that way.

Came across more of a think for yourself thing. Let's face it, who is thinking of "cosmic" things at all lately?

Weed is a means to reach a more civilised place, civilisation as leisure time, the arts, etc.

I'll be honest, drugs scare me a lot less than the "real" spiritual stuff.

peace and love

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Yeah, valid points.
I'm just being grumpy.
I have one of her books, The Meme Machine and it's not bad.
But her anti-woo stance sometimes gets right up my nose, you know?

Love,
T in J

david said...

I have no idea what you're referring to? "anti-woo" in google isn't helpful ... LOLOLOL

It's a grumpy day indeed.

peace and love

Pstonie said...

UD, dawg.

Making anti-woo a truly strange philosophy for a pothead to have.

david said...

Oh lol thanks mate :)
Woo ... apt, and agreed, potheads are known to be nebulous.
T, i think she's wonderful ;-) Common sensedness about her that is quite re-assuring sometimes.
peace and love

julie said...

I'm an artist...I like cannabis, it helps take me to that nebulous place where I can more freely play the ''what if'' game...
Funny, my word here, to prove I'm not a robot, is POThein..