Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Censors

Censors are dead men
set up to judge between life and death.
For no live, sunny man would be a censor,
he’d just laugh.
But censors, being dead men,
have a stern eye on life.
—That thing’s alive! It’s dangerous.
Make away with it!—
And when the execution is performed
you hear the stertorous, self-righteous heavy
breathing of the dead men,
the censors, breathing with relief.
 
 
DH Lawrence, “Censors”

4 comments:

Soul said...

lol - so relevant...

david said...

WE sometimes think we're doing all this the first time.

Old problems.

peace and love

Pstonie said...

"The whole principle is wrong; it's like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't eat steak."
~ Robert A. Heinlein

Rooted in fear, it is, which says enough. Governments are in fact based on catering to the lowest common denominator, so we really shouldn't be surprised they're susceptible to censorship.

In the time between writing this comment and posting it, this excellent article was posted which touches on similar ground.

---

I'll be posting my comments later, or not at all (if I forget), so that others can get a chance to get a word in. I've noticed that when it comes to comments, I'm kind of an invasive species.

david said...

Beauty will save the world!!!

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

After the censors have censored, and the dictators dictated, and the soldiers murdered, and the liars destroyed all truth, beauty will save us all.

Lol at "invasive species", comment away! I find it so rare these days to find anyone who thinks, for themselves.

peace and love and beauty