It came and went, wasn't too bad though. A houseful of happy people, a well used swimming pool, and sated kids. My granny reminded me of something my grandad used to say: " Beautiful from the front, but so lovely from behind." Oh yes, i miss his gentle kindness.
I've been up to my neck in mercedes benz, just me and Hans, that engineer from the factory in the 60's. I think i shall name her Bertha. Big old bitch, like a grand aunt. We discovered the problem, the head gasket was incorect. I'm not sure who is more angry, the old man, my old man, or me. Such a stupid thing to have done, and damn near cost the car an engine. Fortunately the damage seems minimal, the sooner we get her running the better. So not only was the piston seal totally not there, causing burning through the gasket, but the monkey put it on wrong. Bent it on inserting the head. I'll bet money the mechanic just gave the easy old car to the appy, some stupid schuck.
It's ok, we have evidence now. The main fear was since i opened the head, any mechanic would immediately deny liability, and keep his fee. Now, we have the wrong gasket with evidence of ham handedness. He will have to accept responsibility.
My father is a mechanic, a very good one, who has helped so much already. We disagree on a lot though, like he believes one should take cars to experts, i say, look at how they mess it up too. I feel better if i make a mistake, which i pay for, rather than paying someone else to make a mistake, which i would pay for. But the one thing he has taught me, and that we agree on entirely, is that motor mechanics is a precise art, with a right way, and a wrong way. Even a silly boy like me can repair this great engineering marvel, with the right tools, information, and mind set. Even better is you can't get a big head about it, because unless you are humble, the machine will eat you for breakfast. It's a great leveller.
As to the rest, well i'm just keeping busy, one day at a time, and so far as possible avoiding any and all disturbances from the great out there. I think i'm even having fun :)

5 comments:
Get your head out the Merc's bonnet boy. Smell some fresh flowers or something other than oil & grease.
Don't let Bertha take up ALL of your time ok?
Like your self-sufficient attitude. Are you back to work, yet?
I got dried moonflower petals baby!! ;-D
Thank you irondad!
I'm supposed to be back at wok the 4th, but just been offered a week in Plettenberg Bay, a rich beachfront town, of course i'll be in a tent in some guys garden, but i need the getaway :)
peace
Moonflowers huh? Hope you know what your letting yourself in or.
*swirls fingers around head and makes a koekoe sound?
Moonflowers, cousin of the Datura - be careful, young 'Braxsie.
Love,
Terri
Post a Comment