Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Road rules

A few rules that have contributed to me still being alive to this day after 33 years of biking, some by trial and error and a bit of pain along the way:

1. Be moderately faster than the cage traffic around you on highways and freeways. That way your focus of attention is mostly on what is in front of you and easily visible with less hassle from the guys coming up from behind messing with your riding.
2. Rear view mirrors are a cool invention, use them - even if you only have 1.
3. The quick glance over your shoulder is a good thing at times, they teach you that when coming out of pitlane onto a racing circuit. Works good on public roads too. Especially if you only ride with 1 (fast lane) mirror.
4. Go dirtbike / mx / enduro - any kind of offroad riding, this will positively contribute to you being able to control that unwanted powerslide at 140kph cranked over in the fast lane when you least expected the rear end to let go by giving it a handfull of throttle.
5. At intersections make yourself visible to oncoming traffic, even if this means moving a meter or 2 from your chosen line to one side.
6. Following cage traffic in front of you on normal two way traffic roads I generally hang towards the right hand side of my lane. I want oncoming cars to see me, not be in the blind spot of vision of the car I am following. If an oncoming car has stopped (indicated) to turn right he has plenty time to see me and before I pass that car I will move over to the left bringing more of a safety distance between myself and him.
7. On open corners that you can see into with no oncoming traffic go as fast as you like and enjoy your riding.
8. On blind corners go only as fast as you feel safe to crash into cars turning in front of you / cows or other such lifestock / the 50 ton truck going up the hill at 15 kph etc...... The list is endless of what you may inadvertently find around the next corner.
9. I always ride on full brights during daytime, the only time I dim is when following a car for some time.
10. Golden rule at intersections and traffic lights. SLOW DOWN! The cage drivers don't expect someone at warp speed on a bike messing with their daydream routine.
11. When pulling into an intersection I cannot see into I use other cars to shield me.
12. Give the idiot tailgating you a wide berth by letting him pass or getting out of there another way.
13. I generally avoid riding at night, it's easy - I'm at home drinking.
14. I always expect the worst from fellow road users, that way I'm pleasantly surprised to the contrary.
15. Also when following a vehicle, don't ride in the middle if you can't see the road ahead as the vehicle might ride over an obstacle like a brick or pothole which they'll position in the centre. Keep to the right me thinks and then track with the vehicle or just bloody overtake and be done.
______________________________________

Not my own words, Respect to zacapa of Wild Dogs.

Road rules to live by, i support every single thing stated here, i ride it daily. It's great how different guys come to the same strange conclusions sometimes. That's just how it is out there.

peace

No comments: