Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Smart man

“I despise modern music. Words cannot express how much it gets on my nerves – the false, pretentious, smug assertiveness of it. I hate business, having to deal with money. Money is one of the most hateful inventions of the human race. I hate the commodity culture, in which everything is bought and sold. No stone is left unturned. I hate the mass media, and how passively people suck up to it.” — R. Crumb

And i hate even more how ready people are to defend this murderous, sick system, usually based on some misconceived notion of temporary convenience, or comfort.

The post itself and the image are violent, and i wondered where'd the peace and love bit go. 

If you're not angry, you're not paying attention to the people around you.

5 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

It's amazing, when you listen in to any one of the conversations going on around you, how much of our congress with each other has become commodity driven.
I hate it with all my soul, too.

Love,
T in J

david said...

Yes. I try focus on the simple things, like the indian minor with a remarkable repertoire, or the bright green parrots that live nearby. And it always astounds me that you have to point these things out to people?

But they'll tell you all about their new cellphone ...

peace and love and simple beauty to you T

david said...

I have to add, i don't listen to music much anymore, since i have the bl00dy hiv stereo in my ears all day long, it makes me want to hit people, and go deaf. Nut that's an aside, i listened to Beethoven's 5th the other day, a really imposing production of it.

And suddenly felt so small and humble, like, THIS is real, this music, by a deaf man, contains more reality in it than a month of the daily grind.

It's real because it is real, not manufactured, and speaks to my soul, not my senses. And it drags me out of this cesspit of modern social conventions, reminds me of angels, and great men, and even greater ideas.

Just remembering it brings a smile, and a surge of joy.

PEACE!!

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Feel the same way about mass-appeal music. I also tend to want to hit people when I'm exposed to it for too long.
Bach, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Falling You..now that's music.
I sound more like my father every day.
Love,
T in J

david said...

Oh my me ... yes to all 3. "Falling you" i don't know, yet.

They were right you know, those fuddy old geysers with strange old ideas, LOL

peace ;-)