Duel On the Highway
An exit ramp bisects a sweeping curve
too many times I’ve seen
cages and rigs roll on through
and I wondered...
would it be that way today?
If so, what would I do?
I see the cage coming down
and as I come around
the end of the curve
I am watching...calculating
preparing for "battle",
which way will I go
if she doesn’t slow
and yield?
I will hold my lane here
not off in that field !
So damn many thoughts
are clicking off
methodically and lightning quick, one by one
I’m tallying statistics and survival scenarios.
I’m staring her down,
she’s talking on her cell phone, listening to her stereo
oblivious of me, like she’s alone and owns this road.
I’m won’t slow down...not this day,
this is my road, this is my "town"...
and I’m staring her down
like a gunfighter’s eyelock before the pistols are drawn,
staring her down....
drilling my presence into her pre-occupied brain...
Will she see me, or will my life
forever change in this instant?
Look, look, look at me dammit!
She finally turns to look my way
as I accelerate by,
checking her in my mirror
I see.. she never stopped
as I blow the smoke from the barrel of my "gun".
Another notch in my belt...
another battle won.
Chopper Kate By
Monday, 7 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment