Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Ode to a Buccaneer

DRIES VAN DER WALT
Upon the sands, a pirate’s ship
lies smashed against a rock.
The crew, with sadness in their eyes,
are reeling still with shock.
The helmsman’s hand will no more guide
through ev’ry storm his ship.
His voice is still, his place unfilled,
he’s made the final trip
Oh silv’ry ship, oh pirate’s mount,
your greatest task you’ve failed:
to guard your captain, brave and true,
with whom we all have sailed
But high above this sorry scene
a sight fills me with cheer –
with guiding hand that points the way
I see the Buccaneer.

“… ride the twisties wherever you are my friend and have a Red Heart for me…”
I have been asked to write a eulogy for Buccaneer. I have never written a eulogy and never thought that I would ever have to write something like this for a friend… So I won’t, because I cannot say “goodbye” to Bucc. I will rather say “until later my friend, until we meet again”.
This is just a few words of how I remember Buccaneer…
Those fortunate enough to have met Bucc will know what an amazing kind soul he was. The big guy was a gentle giant with a passive nature and knew how to calm my anger when I saw red. He was logical and straightforward in his approach to things, always willing to give advice, did it with a smile and never asked for anything in return. There were no taboo subjects for him… I could discuss anything with him.
Most of the people around me now that I call friends are due to his influence. He managed to bring so many good people together through the “reincarnation” of Think Bike in South Africa and for that I am grateful. He made the Think Bike campaign come alive virtually overnight through his perseverance and dedication… and he did make a difference. We will never know how many lives the campaign may have saved through the exposure and awareness that it has created for motorcyclists…
But he united us with a common goal that we will endeavour to continue. The seed has been sown by Bucc… I hope he can watch it grow wherever he is right now…
His wit and humour I miss immensely, as it always put a smile on my face. Watching him roll up his cigarette and having a sip of his rum-and-Coke after a day of riding in the mountains is how I will always remember him.
The past week has been tough emotionally for me and every time I take strain, I swear I can hear him say: “Cat, stop being a pussy!” like he used say to me…
Bucc, you have left us, but your spirit continues to live amongst us and we will never forget you!
Watch over those of us who have been left behind… One day we will ride together again.
Later dude,
DaCat
PAUL FELIX


Buccaneer
Brian Cannoo
1962/01/06 — 2008/02/18
In honour of this great man we will be doing a mass ride in his memory
Sunday 2 March 2008
Meeting at 7:00
BJ’s Restaurant, N1-northbound, Midrand
Departing at 8:00
End venue: Zwartkops Raceway
This run will start at BJ’s Midrand, head north on N1 and then turn left towards Roodepoort / Krugersdorp on the N14. From there we will take the R55 to Zwartkops Raceway.
All chapters and biking families are asked to meet at BJ’s.
Cruising speed will be set at 80km/h. Please respect this pace – for the sake of the
run and the intention of the mass ride.
All bikers are invited to join this memorial run – to show our numbers and also to
raise awareness on the roads.
The last salute will be lead by Blackie Swart and will work as follows:
• Once the mass ride has reached the end venue (Zwartkops
Raceway), the bike engines will be kept running.
• Blackie Swart will raise his arm so everyone can see it. While his arm is in the air, the mass ride will give a last and final salute by revving their bikes. When Blackie drops his arm, all engines will be killed immediately, followed by a minute of silence for our fallen friend.
• After the minute of silence, we will proceed into the venue
Special requests
On the road
We have reached an agreement with Metro – who will be fully supportive of the
mass ride – on the following
• ONLY street legal bikes will be allowed. All bikes should have legal
number plates
• NO quads, off-road bikes or pocket bikes will be allowed
• JMPD will supply cars and possibly bikes to escort us to the end of their
jurisdiction
• JMPD have also agreed that there will be no cost to Think Bike for their
services
• The marshals that use TB plates must carry their legal plates with them,
no exceptions will be made and no excuses will be accepted
• Cars taking part in the run must be at the back of the pack and not between the bikes. Again, no exceptions
At the end venue
• No bikes will be permitted on the track
• No burnouts or doughnuts will be permitted
• There will be a cash bar as well as food court. No tabs!
• If anyone is able to assist and be designated sobers with trailers, please
bring trailers along to assist people who are not capable of riding home.
For the family
• Think Bike kindly requests that, in stead of sending flowers to the Cannoo family, to please rather consider donating money to ease their financial burden until the estate pays out.
• Scattering of ashes will be a private gathering for family and close
friends at a different date and venue. Please respect the family and friends.
Please join us for this ride and celebration of a great man and all that he has
accomplished and the legacy he has left behind.
LONG LIVE THE BUCCANEER!

No comments: