Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Decisive moment

For the last 17 years we've seen horror after horror. What was advertised and sold to us, and we bought euphorically with everything we owned, has turned into a lemon. This rainbow nation that is being plundered and raped as we stare helplessly.

I'm ambivalent towards the Dalai Lama, i don't really bother much about what he does. But he is a nobel laureate, the head of a major religion, and a symbol for peace, akin to madiba. Clearly not the sort of person our government would like to associate with. They prefer arms dealers and dictators.

Tutu was a caricature from when i was a kid in cape town, but as i've grown up and watched this man, he i have really developed respect for. Utterly moral, unafraid to speak his mind, both to the nats and the anc, also a religious leader and a nobel laureate. Great men both, of our time.

The anc has been it's usual stupid self, and the glaring discrepancy of they say versus what they do has become blinding. The "official" govt response was limp as wet tissue paper, and lies and distortions all.

I quote:
Mthembu added: “As a result of the ANC reputation, record on human rights, democratic principles and South Africa's progressive Constitution, South Africa is today recognised by international organisations, such as the United Nations and the African Union as a critical role player in international peace and as a protector of human rights.

Comment:
We're at 6 on the human rights watch list, our UN voting has been an insult to victims, our constitution is being trampled on, and the au internationally is also a waste of time.

But my favourite quotes are from the good bishop:
“I sat in the audience and listened to this president paying tribute to all the people who had helped to bring about democracy. This president didn’t thank a single religious leader.”

Tutu said religious leaders had encouraged up to 30 000 people at a time to march against, and bring an end to, apartheid. “Let the ANC know; they cannot airbrush us out.”

Tutu warned the ANC that Egypt’s Hosni Mubarak and Libya’s Muammar Gaddafi, both toppled from their top jobs, had previously held a large majority.

“Watch out. I am warning you. Watch out. Please watch out.”

“Tibet is being oppressed. Our government, representing me, says it will not support Tibetans who are being oppressed viciously by the Chinese. Hey, Mr Zuma, you and your government don’t represent me. You represent your own interests.

“I am warning you out of love. I am warning you like I warned the Nationalists. I am warning you that one day we will start praying for the defeat of the ANC government.

“You are disgraceful.

“I am warning you. We will pray as we prayed for the downfall of the apartheid government. You have got a huge majority; that’s nothing.

“Watch out ANC government; watch out,” Tutu concluded.

I conclude that this is the turning moment. The major factors in the fall of apartheid were the white lefts, churches, sanctions, and the armed struggle. We were winning militarily, it was the others we were losing. The anc has become worse than the nats, not only because we expected it back then, but because even the nats could be made to listen, these anc people are too stupid to see their coming demise. China won't save them, neither will destroying the constitution. From this moment on, nothing will.

I'll leave you with this image, of a man outraged. It would be almost comical if you did not understand the background to it, but no, you can see the hurt in the man's eye's, and for an 80 something retired priest, well he is usually much more dignified.




EDIT:
Dailymaverick says it better than i could, but we share the same view.

What is the difference between Sharpeville and Tianenmen square? Nothing at all. The new nats are making deals with the other nats, or worse than. They're all as bad as each other.

2 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Yay, go the Arch.

I find he usually speaks from a place of deep compassion...aka Love.
Lots of time for him, I have.
..and I'm so glad he spoke up like this.
Love,
T in J

david said...

Agreed.

Most people have no real empathy anymore, we're all too desensitised ... thanks media :(

peace and LOVE ;-)