Ignore the heading, it's stupid and lame and irrelevant. Moving along :)
You are alive, undeniably, and you will die, just as certain. The rest are all variables that could be anything from 1-99 on a scale of probability. We in JHB have higher death probabilities than just about anyone else on the planet, Mexico, LA and Iraq are probably comparable. Death by bullet is "lead poisoning" which counts as natural death around here. Arguably the highest peacetime death toll from violence in recent history. Funny thing is: you're more likely to die in a road accident, in JHB. Wonderful thought to stir the passions, no?
So you're not high risk, you're the high end of high risk, so what do you do? You ride a motorcycle, of course. And when the wind blows, you ride, and when it rains, you ride, and when your visor and glasses are so fogged up you can't see the handlebars, you ride, only way to clear foggy glasses is to ride. And when your bike breaks, you ride, if you can find a spare. And when they tell you that the bike isn't insured, please be careful, well you fucking ride!!!
So all you adrenaline junkies out there ... here, have a fix that'll make your eyes water, and your stomach knot in twisted agony. That's if everything goes fine ...
... if everything doesn't go fine, well you're fucked, try not soil yourself ok?
So that's what i'm doing, riding a new(ish) bike that isn't insured through the metal madness. It's a 650 kawa, i won't say anything more than i want my freakin bike back please.
I was thinking about the death chances we face, and then i went to Think Bike and saw all the guys down. One guy was repairing a bike's brakes, went for a test ride, brakes failed, dead. Another was off to some rally, "misjudged a corner" about 10km out of town, dead instantly. Us bikers are mostly middle aged white guys, and i can tell you honestly we're all fucked in the head. The death urge is so strong where we're at, it's the white consumer culture, it's the black violence culture, it's the total don't give a shit cos there's no point to even trying culture that our beloved state has imposed. Every single avenue of "normality" has been twisted and bent out true. I see it around me, i feel it inside me too. This death urge that makes us want to live too fast, fly too high.
And it's not an exultation of the spirit as i've spoken of before, it's panic. Raw fear. K posted a cartoon where the guy says he has everything, except a reason to live. Goes that way for a lot around us, but more stuff is about all that we are socially allowed to want, oh, and "happiness" that ethereal fairy that teases and drops you. And so you got an entire generation of death junkies, who live and die all day every day, and yet never live, and die stupidly.
I mean no disrespect, but this death urge has got to be addressed. Hug someone, thats a good start, you may never get another chance. Now THAT'S living ;-)
peace and love
Thursday, 9 June 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Firstly, I don't know what is behind this post. I sense frustrated helplessness. Maybe I'm just hallucinating.
Can you move away? Do you have a choice or have you sworn your soul to the cause?
I don't know these things so all I can say is don't let the bastards conquer you.
I hear you. Neil Kramer has called it "the Void" - wherein many people now find themselves wandering, semi - conscious.
Love,
T in J
irondad: God bless you good man!!!
I think i wasn't clear, this isn't helplessness, well not mine at least. Truly, i am living on an extreme edge, but we humans need this ... LIFE, in capitals. I think of Icarus, who FLEW dammit! He FLEW! But then got carried away, too high. It takes grounding. Your Kate grounds you, my Viv & kids do the same for me, and that's why a hug really does start looking more and more like a good thing to do ;-)
I'm not conquered man, never, cannot be. You know what i mean ... ;-)
What is behind this post is anger, Hemingway spoke of men who die like animals in war. I feel the same about these brothers and sisters who die with the same apparent disregard. They live like rabbits caught in the headlights, and i feel such a need to wake them up. Talk about flying high.
Aquila ka Hecate: Yes ma'am. The Void as a mental state, very apt. You'd know what i meant with the clash of death cultures we find ourselves in. And we see so far into what could be, and how pettiness ruins our common destinies.
I feel a post coming on though, lol. For the record, i'm soaring today, but with this wind even a brick could get airborne!!!
peace and LOVE and hugs for those who matter
Post a Comment