Fan hitch-hikes in wheelchair
21/09/2008 23:03 - (SA)
Gloria Edwards, Beeld
Johannesburg - A man in a wheelchair "hitch-hiked" from Nelspruit to Kempton Park to see his Paralympic heroes.
When Pieter van der Westhuizen, 57, heard the SA Paralympic team would arrive at O R Tambo Airport early on Saturday morning, he decided that nothing would stop him getting there.
He started "hitch-hiking" from Nelspruit at 02:00 on Saturday morning so that he could get to the airport on time.
"Good Samaritans helped me. I got three lifts to the airport.
"One was from Nelspruit to Witbank, then one from Witbank to Randburg and then one from there to the airport.
"Oscar and the team are my inspiration, my heroes. I just had to see them in the flesh," he said.
He couldn't hide his excitement when Oscar Pistorius, his biggest hero, shook his hand and greeted him.
"He encouraged me and thanked me for coming."
Van der Westhuizen, who lost both legs in a motorcycle accident in 2004, started hitching back home once he had met his heroes.
"I managed to get most of them to sign a poster for me.
"I think they are wonderful, because they don't allow their disabilities to stand in their way. Getting there was tough, but absolutely worthwhile!"
_________________________________________________________________________
I hitch hiked from JHB to nelspruit once ..... fucking long way. Man this guy just got my respect. Ditto to those who picked him up. Most don't.
Hitch hiking formed some of the best experiences i ever had. Pity it's just too dangerous for kids.
Monday, 22 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment